Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Disappointment Is Not The Only Option

Reading the following blog post - The Professional Left is Killing Us; Example #1 - made me reflect on two things:

  1. I need to remove the content advisory on my blog because I've over-estimated my capacity to spew venom foully.
  2. Left-leaning people (including myself) need to take breath before we blame so many current ills and frustrations on Obama.
I remember hitting many of the North Dallas Democratic clubs after the 2010 election. It troubled me then that somehow in a red state with many Democrat politicians very eager to run away from Obama, many Democratic activists here somehow made it Obama's fault that the Republicans knocked out almost all the Democrats that were newly-elected in Texas in the last decade, finally achieving a super majority in the the state legislature. I remember all the times I've voiced my frustrations that Obama is Bush-lite regarding national security and Fourth Amendment issues, and grumbling at every other compromise in passing legislation through our divided Congress. I remember how much time I've spent with people that identify as Democrats who spent more time complaining about Democrats than the Republicans they say they saw as the opposition.

I'm leaning more and more towards taking a breath before damning Democrats as time goes by. I don't spend much time around embittered, ranting "Democrats" who have more appreciation for Republican electeds that will never show them the same respect. I'm mostly over the habit of complaining about Democrat electeds that aren't firebrands for the causes I feel passionately about.

I've come to a more peaceful and hopeful place internally. No politician is perfect, so I will not expect perfection. I do a better job of respecting how hard it is an elected to fully advocate choices that promote equality, social justice, and living in harmony with nature when it's human's instinctual nature to consume, seek immediate gratification, and punish those who fall under the category of "them". Most importantly, I will not echo Republican talking points against Democrat electeds who I have lost faith in; I will promote primary challengers as better choices instead. Conservatives can afford to do their own dirty work.

There are truths as powerful now as they were just a few years ago in 2008: You ain't gonna woo new Democratic voters or better Democratic candidates through pissy whining - just make your case. As someone on the ground, you'll do better all around by living as confidently positive as one can, and inspiring people through tangible action.

I haven't been living by that as much as I'd like the past year, but I'm getting better about it.

0 comments: